Sunday, April 15, 2012

Tempest - Solace EP



Some of you may remember my review of Tempest's debut LP Passages from last year - this record was an instant hit for me and it still gets a regular workout on my turntable - it just has that little something that keeps me coming back. I can't quite decide whether it's simply because I go nuts for the overall sound Tempest have achieved, or whether it's because Passages itself is immaculately composed, but I have no qualms in heaping mounds of praise upon the LP.

With Passages still fresh in my listening rotation, Tempest have followed it up with another release in the form of the Solace EP. The record contains a single song, broken up into two parts. What was so good about Passages is evident here too - the EP almost feels like an afterthought of the LP, taking similer musical ideas and streamlining them around a singular concept that is expressed through one fluid composition.

If Passages caught your attention or you have any interest in dark and menacing crust, Solace is a must listen. The only negative thing I have to say about it is that its briefness leaves me wanting more. Tempest is easily the best band I know of currently playing this style of music, so do your thing and support. Physical copies of Solace are not yet available, but you can stream it here with the option to buy digital copies. Passages also has a full stream here. SUPPORT.

2 comments: